Sunday, September 6, 2009

WHAT IF


FACE OFF. That was the title of the American film which starred John Travolta who played the bad guy and villain to Nicholas Cage as the good cop. It was a heart-pounding story of twists and turns when they exchanged faces but not the character and personality behind the face. At the end, the good guy, Nicholas Cage wanted to get his face and his own person back while John Travolta started enjoying his new life and new face and the good image that goes with it.

I grew up in our ancestral house which has a small balcony in front before you reach the door to the living room. My Dad while passing time would usually watch passersby from the balcony of the house. One time he called me and told me to take a look at the old man on the street pushing his old and almost worn out cart, as he shouts “dyaryo, bote.” (means that the old man makes a living through buy and sell of old newspapers and empty bottles) My Dad sighed and told me, “buti na lang hindi ikaw yan.” (you are blessed, you are not on his shoes). I understood then what my Dad was trying to say --that God was so gracious that He gave me a better life while I spend my short and temporary life here on earth.

I always remember that sight and the casual way my Dad taught me about compassion and appreciation every time I see poor people, or homeless beggars, with no place to put their tired bodies to rest, making the streets their shelter, or those who get through a day’s meal out of the leftovers from the garbage bins. I would always ask myself, “what if …I am in that person’s place?” What if… one day I will wake up with a new face and a new life--very poor, lonely and worst of all, without Jesus Christ in my life or without knowing Jesus as my savior?

Today, would you be a channel of God’s blessings as you count the many blessings that you have as compared to other people around you?

What if…




Bible Reading: Matthew 15:29-39

29Jesus left there and went along the Sea of Galilee. Then he went up on a mountainside and sat down. 30Great crowds came to him, bringing the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute and many others, and laid them at his feet; and he healed them. 31The people were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled made well, the lame walking and the blind seeing. And they praised the God of Israel.
32Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way."
33His disciples answered, "Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?"
34"How many loaves do you have?" Jesus asked. "Seven," they replied, "and a few small fish."
35He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. 36Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people. 37They all ate and were satisfied. Afterward the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 38The number of those who ate was four thousand, besides women and children. 39After Jesus had sent the crowd away, he got into the boat and went to the vicinity of Magadan.



M A C

Meaning: Jesus asked the disciples to hand over the fish and bread to the people first even though they were also hungry and the disciples obeyed. They were not selfish to think only of themselves.

Application: After God handed over to us His blessings we must also share it to other people in need.

Character of Jesus: He is compassionate to all of us.

1 comment:

  1. yes, we must be thankful and satisfied with what God has given us

    ReplyDelete