Thursday, September 17, 2009

PRICELESS


My Family and I love going to the mall, not for the luxury of shopping but just to stroll around and see what’s new. One time, we went to a newly-opened mall near our place. We came across the fast food area where we saw a long line of people waiting for their turn to taste the popular and best selling barbeque in that mall. While we were nearing the barbeque stall, I tried to get my kids’ attention away from that tempting smell of the barbeque in grill that spreads around the fast food area. Tempting, not because eating pork is not healthy but because we cannot afford to buy one.


Then, with a downcast spirit, I asked God, “Lord, when will you bless us financially?”

Still with a heavy heart, we sat on a park bench nearby, passing time, watching people.

Suddenly, I saw three boys who were about ten to twelve years of age, and dressed up with their best clothes but wearing dirty and worn out slippers. One of them was even on barefoot, Each one carries with him a plastic bag, going from one trash bin to another. They were opening the bins to get like empty soft drink tin cans that they can sell for a few centavos. At the same time I noticed that they were also on a close look out for the mall guards. They seemed so afraid of them. I know why. I saw how the guards shoo them away like stray animals. Now I understand- if they are dressed like the mallers, the guards may not notice that they are even without slippers and they will not be dragged out of the mall. Yes, they are in the mall but not for leisurely walk as we do.

As I was keenly observing them, their situation made me realized that God has been so good to have blessed me with so much more. I am blessed with healthy family. I am blessed with a happy family whom I can joke and laugh with. I am blessed to have the time to spend with them walking in the mall, even without the extra money to spend luxuriously on shopping and dining. I began to appreciate the simple way we share the happy moments together. Precious moments like those, I should say are priceless.




Bible Reading: Matthew 6:1-4

1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.


M A C

Meaning: Jesus is teaching us the right way to give to people who are in need.

Application: I will start giving to the needy and I will do it in secret so that my Father in heaven will be pleased and someday He will reward me.

Character of Jesus: Jesus is the creator of giving, and He just taught by example when He gave His own life for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment