Sunday, August 2, 2009

EMBRACED ME NOT


When our first baby had just been born, we had a housemaid whose name is Mayet, a naive but very assertive girl. When I tell stories in the Bible she would always sit down and listen. I gave her a Bible and she was so happy to receive it. I always see her reading and contemplating on the word of God. I think she was growing in her spiritual life and getting to know Jesus Christ more day by day.

Usually, when I leave the house I would give her instructions on what to say if I have a phone call, or if someone will come and look for me, or what to do in times of emergency.

One time when I left home I remembered I did not give her any instructions because my wife was home, anyway. Passing Ayala Avenue, I saw people shouting and pointing at the building under construction. I saw the huge cranes on top of the buildings swaying left to right and seemed almost about to fall. There was chaos and people were rushing out of their office buildings. This was when a strong earthquake rocked Luzon in 1991.

I started to worry about how my family was at home. I went back as soon as I could. When I reached home, I thanked God that my wife and daughter were safe. Mayet though, seemed to be still in fear and like she was still in a state of shock. I saw her embracing her Bible. After a while she told me what happened. “Kuya lumindol kanina. Nayanig ang buong bahay!” (There was an earthquake. It rocked the house). Then I asked, “Anong ginawa mo? (What did you do?) “Natakot ako. Kinuha ko agad ang Bible ko at niyakap ko ng mahigpit.” (I was so afraid, I grabbed my Bible and embraced it tightly), she replied.

I laughed and explained that embracing her Bible cannot save her in times of earthquake. Instead, she should find safety under the table so that if anything falls, it will not hit her head. “Next time kuya ilalagay ko na lang ang Bible sa ulo ko,” ( I’ll just put my Bible on top of my head), she said jokingly and laughed at herself too.

How many of us still look at the Bible as something sacred and with magical powers? Or like a collector’s item, have all the versions and/or editions? Or how many of us are just happy to display them on the shelves?

The Bible is our manual of instructions from God. Let us read it, know the meaning and application, and be like Jesus.

"Bible: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth"

Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. very inspiring.MAC easy way to read the bible

    ReplyDelete
  2. tnank you Noel i hope this will help other people also

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    buti nlang wala pa ko nun .

    nice post .

    nag follow ako :) hehe . i'll read your new posts everytime i catch time to check mine :)

    ReplyDelete